05 September, 2016

Akonadi/KMail issues on Tumbleweed?

So if you, like me, have experienced how smoothly Akonadi deals with crashes and think it is still annoying, there's a solution. The problem is caused by Xapian which creates some nice backtraces but until it is fixed you are stuck with a crash every ~minute.

The solution is in this email from Christian Boltz:

I created a repo with the previous version of libxapian, and akonadi-* and baloo linkpac'd from Factory (so rebuilt against the old libxapian): https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:cboltz:branches:openSUSE:Factory

Packages at http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/cboltz:/branches:/openSUSE:/Factory/standard/

Since I installed these packages (using zypper dup --from), I didn't see any akonadi crashes.

If someone wants to use the fixed packages _now_: I'll keep the repo as long as it's useful for me ;-) -> this is clearly caused by the libxapian update (libxapian22 -> libxapian30)

In other words, you fix it this way:

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/cboltz:/branches:/openSUSE:/Factory/standard akonadi-fix
zypper ref
zypper lr
Now find the number of the new repository (akonadi-fix) and:
zypper dup --from 4
(where 4 is the number of the repo in my case).

Then OK the result and done, the mail client which, despite all its issues, continues to be the only one I can stand working with is smooth sailing again ;-)

Oh, to fix the mess Xapian made of the database, you probably should stop akonadi and remove the search DB, it will get re-indexed:
akonadictl stop
rm -rf ~/.local/share/akonadi/search_db
rm ~/.config/.baloorc
akonadictl start

Greetings from #Akademy2016 by the way!